Home > News > Industry News > Mace starts construction on the Shard of Glass

Mace starts construction on the Shard of Glass

Post Time:Mar 19,2009Classify:Industry NewsView:313

Mace will begin construction of the Shard of Glass at London Bridge today (Monday).

Set to be the tallest mixed-use building in Western Europe, the Renzo Piano design goes ahead at a time when work has stopped on skyscrapers across the globe.

"This will be a landmark building and we've already let out 40 per cent of it," project managing director Bernard Ainsworth told the Financial Times.

Chris Cole, chief executive of WSP, the structural engineer on the project said: "This is one of the few shows left in town now."

New orders in the non-residential building sector in the three months to the end of January came to just £2bn, a substantial drop on the £4.1bn same period last year, according to recent data from the Office of National Statistics.

The development cost of London Bridge Quarter alone sits at £2bn with contracts worth £650m put out to tender so far.

Source: contractjournal.comAuthor: shangyi

Related News

Hot News

返回顶部